Our Club, Officers, Meetings, Activites, and our Namesake
David Sarnoff Radio Club
According to an article in the RCA Engineer in 1978:
DAVID SARNOFF RADIO CLUB
Organized March 6, 1975
For development of:
– Individual proficiency
– Preparedness for emergency communications
This has led to:RCA Engineer Dec 1978|Jan 1979 Vol 24|No 4 “This is WR2AJC, Princeton, New Jersey” J. C. Hartmann, S. M Zollers.
– Club meetings for the exchange of ideas, news, experiences of interest to hams
– A 2- Meter FM repeater servinc hams over a 50-mile radius
– An Emergency Communications Plan involving the repeater and club members
– Training classes so that non-licensed persons may obtain amateur radio operators licenses
The David Sarnoff Radio Club (DSRC) is a general-interest amateur radio club serving the greater Princeton, NJ area. Our club began in 1975 for employees of RCA Corporation’s RCA Laboratories David Sarnoff Research Center near Princeton, NJ. After the David Sarnoff Research Center, Inc. became an independent consulting company, our club became an area club, with a focus on service to central New Jersey and emergency communications. Our host company renamed itself Sarnoff Corporation, and then was reorganized as a division of SRI International, Inc. Many in our club worked for RCA or “The Sarnoff Labs” or SRI, and the club retains a significant emphasis on technology.
Our club is no longer affiliated with SRI International, or any company using the name RCA. Our name honors David Sarnoff, the first general manager of the Radio Corporation of America, who began his radio career at the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company of America in 1906. We use an image of him sending “wireless” messages using Morse code as our logo.
Club involvement includes an amateur radio FM repeater in the 2 Meter Band, monthly meetings, radio nets, and operating events through the year. To become a member, simply attend a club meeting and fill-out a membership application (button found here.)
The DSRC Email Group
The club sponsors a low-volume email group at groups.io.
- Please limit postings to amateur radio announcements and discussions that would be of interest to most of our members.
- Group posting is restricted to members.
- Group membership requires approval
- New group members are moderated in order to exclude spammers.
The N2RE Antenna Fund
Please consider donating to the David Sarnoff Radio Club Antenna Fund. Our club has no dues, but the cost of repeater equipment and insurance is covered by your donations. Your generosity helps keep us on the air, including helping to pay for our new antenna and feed line as well as creating a reserve for any further expenses.
Until we are meeting in person again we will only take donations via PayPal, which accepts debit or credit cards. Good news! PayPal allows for monthly donation scheduling!
You can go directly by pressing this button:
Or, for more transparency, cut and paste this text into your browser:
Or, you may go through PayPal’s front door. This allows you to put a note in for our treasurer. You can use PayPal with a credit card, or use your PayPal account:
- Go to paypal.com (maybe via an app or using your browser);
- Click on “Send and Request” and click Send Money; (It may be under “Personal”)
- In the box labeled “Name, email or mobile number” carefully type: “firstname.lastname@example.org” (without the quotes) O L I A S.
Thanks and 73, Karl KB2FA
DSRC Officers 2021
- President – Don Corrington AK2S
- Vice President – Charlie Dieterich N2CTW
- Treasurer – Karl Krueger KB2FA
- Secretary – John DeGood NU3E
- Public Information Officer – Robert Uhrik WA2BSP
- Program Coordinator – Rebecca Mercuri K3RPM
Over the years our club has met in West Windsor, NJ and Hamilton (Mercer County), NJ
Monthly club meetings have become virtual due to COVID-19, with links announced each month via our mailing list. We use Cisco Webex, which is compatible with PC, Tablet and phone software. We developed a tradition of eating at a local food court for conversations after work but before our meetings, so we now hold a “Virtual Buffet” before our formal meetings via Zoom.
(When we begin meeting in person again, we will include directions here.)
Regular Club Activities
DSRC 2 Meter Net
Held the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Tuesday of each month at 8:00 PM local time on the N2RE repeater. The net is a general interest net, open to all radio amateurs.
In years past we have held monthly nets to experiment with different communications modes, or different bands. At the moment none of these nets are active.
Members of the club participate in local ARES and Skywarn nets as well as HF traffic nets.
About David Sarnoff
David Sarnoff (February 27, 1891 – December 12, 1971) “The General” David Sarnoff was president and chairman of the board of the Radio Corporation of America. We celebrate his early days as a Morse code operator, as well as the innovations in electronics which came from the David Sarnoff Research Center. For much more, see Wikipedia.
And… for historical information, visit our friends at The Sarnoff Collection
Photo used by permission.