Seventy-five years ago, on July 1, 1947, the Princeton Section of the Institute of Radio Engineers (now the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) spun off from the Philadelphia Section. That month, much of Europe accepted the Marshall Plan that the Soviet Union rejected; the United Kingdom approved India’s independence; and a UFO crashed near Roswell, New Mexico. Elsewhere that year, the transistor was five months from invention at Bell Labs; the ENIAC digital computer was moved from the University of Pennsylvania to the Ballistics Research Laboratory at Aberdeen, Maryland; RCA Laboratories demonstrated the first electronic color TV camera to the Federal Communications Commission; and Americans would buy 250,000 monochrome TV sets.
Here’s how YOU can help us celebrate the 75 years of contributions by members and volunteers of the IEEE Princeton / Central Jersey Section:
- Download the Log Sheet at: <n2re.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/IEEE-PCJS-75-Log-Sheet.pdf>
- Activate with our special event by using your own callsign on Thursday, August 25, 2022, from Midnight to 11:59PM EDT on a frequency and mode of your choosing. Announce that you are a special event station celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the IEEE Princeton / Central Jersey Section.
- Fill in the Log Sheet with your own information and each of your contacts. Use copies of Page 2 of the Log Sheet to submit additional contacts.
- Within 10 days, email your Log Sheets to Rebecca Mercuri, K3RPM at <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>.
The callsigns of our special event stations and their contacts will be posted here, at <n2re.org/ieee-pcjs-75th-anniversary-special-event>, as we receive them!
Contacts Reported During the Special Event
Contacts made via phone by IEEE PCJS Member Rebecca K3RPM, from Mercer County Park – East Picnic Area:
- KD2AAR, IEEE PCJS Member, 14:32 EDT, 146.46, RST Sent 599, RST Received 499. “Glad to make contact.”
- K2PAT, 14:37 EDT, 146.46, RST Sent 59, RST Received 47. “Save me a piece of the birthday cake.”
- KD2TCH, 14:42 EDT, 146.46. “Great job, so excellent, keep it going.”
- KB2FA, 13:30 EDT, 146.46. “Have a great celebration.”
- NM8G, IEEE PCJS Member, 16:45 EDT, 146.52.
- KC2NKN, IEEE PCJS Member, 17:05 EDT, 146,46. “Congratulations are in order. Thank you, Rebecca, for your work in getting new Hams.”
Contacts made via phone by IEEE PCJS Member Rebecca K3RPM from Mercerville, Hamilton Township, NJ:
- AK2S, 20:25 EDT, 146.46
Contacts made via phone by Cushla KD2TCH, from Kendall Park, NJ:
- WJ3P, 12:23 EDT, 146.46
- K2WWF, IEEE PCJS Member, 12:34 EDT, 146.46
- K2PAT, 12:38 EDT, 146.46
- KB2FA, 14:07 EDT, 146.46
- K3RPM, IEEE PCJS Member, 16:42 EDT, 146.46
- KD2AAR, IEEE PCJS Member, 16:44 EDT, 146.46
Contacts made via phone by IEEE PCJS Member Laura K2WWF, from Kendall Park, NJ:
- K2PAT, 11:41 EDT, 146.46, RS Sent 58, RS Received 59. “Former IEEE member (decades ago) and standards volunteer.”
- KD2YMX, 11:58 EDT, IEEE PCJS Member, 146.46, RS Sent 58, RS Received 59
- WJ3P, 12:00 EDT and 12:32 EDT (dupe), 146.46, RS Sent 59, RS Received 59, from Hopewell, NJ
- KD2FDT, 12:05 EDT, 146.46, RS Sent 59, RS Received 57
- KD2FMW, 12:07 EDT, 146.46, RS Sent 59, RS Received 59
- KD2TCH, 12:40 EDT, 146.46, RS Sent 59, RS Received 59
- KB2FA, 13:17 EDT, 146.46, RS Received 59
- AK2CF, 15:30 EDT, 146.46
- K2UYH, 15:35 EDT, IEEE PCJS Member, 146.46
Contacts made via phone by Robert N2LO, mobile:
- N4PPX, 12:03 EDT, 142.34, RS Sent 59, RS Received
- W6ABM/VY2, 12:15 EDT, 142.34, RS Sent 59, RS Received 59
- N4EVG, 19:25 EDT, 142.34, RS Sent 59, RS Received 57
- N5PBC, 19:35 EDT, 142.34, RS Sent 59, RS Received 59
Please email a copy of your Log Sheets to Rebecca Mercuri, K3RPM at <mailto:email@example.com> if you have not done so already.
Rebecca K3RPM, Past IEEE PCJ Section Chair, and director of the Broadcast Technology Chapter’s amateur radio licensing project, operating on a Yaesu FT-65R MORE Project dual-band HT at the Section’s 75th Anniversary Picnic on August 25, 2022: